Saturday, December 4, 2010

Drugs in the pocket? No biggie.

I've realized that in addition to being a teacher, I'm also a life coach. With 60 female students, I've become more of a psychiatrist and mediator than anything. Moral lessons are plentiful, but some don't go quite as I plan them to go.

CB: "Mr. Lowe, can I talk to you in the hall?"

Me: "Sure."

We go out into the hallway.

CB: "Mr. Lowe, P is spreadin' some stuff, some rumors. My SUPPOSED friend is spreadin' crap about me."

(Something worth noting: this "supposed friend" threatened CB and told her that she and two other classmates were going to jump her only three weeks prior)

Me: "Well, maybe you shouldn't be 'friends' with her anymore. Did you ever think about that possibility? Wasn't it only a few weeks ago that you were crying in my classroom in fear that she and C and K were going to jump you?"

CB: "Well yeah, but we cool now, Mr. Lowe."

I think for a second, then begin my teaching moment that is going to change her life. I mean, seriously, this girl's perspective is going to be forever changed after I say what I'm about to say...

Me: "C, there are just some people that you shouldn't be around. For example, would you ever hang out with someone if you knew that she had a bag of cocaine in her pocket?"

(The obvious answer that 98% of the rest of humanity would give is a resounding no.)

CB: Silence...... "Um, but what if-"

Me: "No, C, it should not take you this long to answer my question. There are no 'what ifs,' no technicalities, no details. 'Yes' or 'no,' would you hang out with someone who had cocaine?"

CB: "What about weed?"

Me: "Okay. You need to say 'absolutely not.' You should never be around people with drugs, no matter who they are. Drama is P's drug; stay away from her! Just like you should stay away from people with drugs, stay away from her and her drug of choice: drama."

Teaching Moment Scoreboard
Me: 0 Kids with drugs: 1

1 comment:

  1. Love it T. Lowe, but i thing considering your current location and where you grow up it should be a tie. you both learned something.

    ReplyDelete