Tuesday, May 3, 2011

The Unexpected Spotlight

Yesterday, we had an assembly by a group named "Hip Hop Handbook," which is made up of two guys that travel the country educating kids about the history of hip hop and the different urban dance styles. It was a pretty good show with the group asking for lots of volunteers so the kids could get involved.

At one point, they asked for volunteers to have a freestyle rap-off. The usual suspects crowded the stage. But then another boy began to make his way toward the stage. I don't know his name, but I know that he's got a great spirit.

He is in the CDC class, which is composed of kids that have some kind of drawback, be it mental or physical. This boy, despite his problems, still puts himself out there at school functions and definitely lives life to the fullest. As I watched him up there on stage, I got so scared for him. Middle schoolers can be brutal sometimes. I was terrified that he was going to go out on a limb and immediately get shot down by other kids laughing at him. I can't imagine what it's going to be like when I see my own children up on stage in front of a bunch of people if I'm this scared for a kid I barely know. I was so scared that the other kids would boo him off the stage or laugh at him for his obvious problems.

Each boy took their turn in freestyling and a couple were actually really good. Then it came down to this boy. He was hiding behind the other boys who were much taller than he was and seemed a bit bashful to come up to the microphone. I was silently praying so hard for him to succeed and for the other kids to not laugh.

He stepped up, stumbled through a few words that I couldn't make out and then just stood there looking out into the crowd of 600 kids.

And then the place erupted in cheers.

Kids stood up from their seats to cheer him on. All the sections were going wild for him. The entire school stood behind this one boy who had the guts to stand up and make every moment count. It was the single greatest moment I've had in this entire year of teaching. The students renewed my belief in humanity; that despite what my students do sometimes, they're still incredible people who are willing to cheer on a kid who doesn't get cheered on all that much.

I've never clapped so hard in my life. The MC of the assembly pointed to each boy and the crowd cheered to see who won. The two best rappers got loud cheers, but when the MC pointed to this boy, everyone exploded. As he walked off the stage, he was beaming. His smile could have lit up the world.

It had me teary-eyed, which, as my wife would tell you, is almost impossible because I, as she says, "didn't even cry at our wedding!"

The world won yesterday. Kingsbury won yesterday. And that boy taught us all a lesson that you can face obstacles and still come out on top.

No comments:

Post a Comment