Thursday, May 12, 2011

Barbershop = Butchershop

One of my boys, J, usually has pretty cool haircuts and always looks his best. Monday, he walked into my class and there was something markedly different: he had a bull cut. Now, bullcuts are cute on 4-year-old white kids, but a 14-year-old African-American kid is no canvas for such a haircut. He seemed pretty embarrassed by it, so Tuesday he came in with a fleece headband that covered the line, so you couldn't see his haircut.
Yesterday, while in the lunchroom, one of his friends left him out in the cold by telling the principal that he was wearing a headband (which is against the dress code).

DR: "Principal Mackin, J has a headband on!"

Mackin: "Hey, man, you gotta take the headband off."

JJ: "I can't."

Mackin: "Why not?!"

JJ: "My haircut. I just can't."

Mackin: "Alright, let me see your haircut, then."

J takes off the headband ever-so-slightly and shows the principal. His friends bust up laughing.

Mackin: "Okay, you can keep the headband on!"

Just another day at Kingsbury Middle.

No comments:

Post a Comment