Tuesday, May 10, 2011

Future Shakespeares in MemphTown

Earlier this year, we prepared...and prepared...and prepared...and then took a breather...and then prepared...and then prepared again...for the TCAP (Tennessee Comprehensive Assessment Program) Writing Assessment. All 8th graders across the state are required to take it and the scores are factored in to determine a school's/teacher's/principal's efficiency as an educator. Needless to say, I was pretty nervous about how our scores would turn out.

Well, today I got my scores back and my students blew the lid off the assessment! The highest possible score is a 6 and one of my students got just that. Six of my students scored a 5; forty-three scored a 4; and only 5 scored a 3. None scored a 2 or below.

Talk.about.STOKED.

Within my regular education students, 95.6% of them passed the assessment, which is phenomenal. Factoring in my special education students, 90.7% of my students passed. I told one of my classes that I got the scores back and so I've had a few students come up to me in the hall asking what they got. One boy, CH, who had a few behavioral problems at the beginning of the year until I called his dad and he got a haircut, got a 4 and when I told him, his face LIT UP and he realized that all of his hard work had finally paid off.

So, in the spirit of all things inspiring...

No comments:

Post a Comment