Thursday, October 21, 2010

How is that relevant?

Yesterday, we were going over persuasive devices (bandwagon, testimonial, etc.) and I tried to give them a story about snob appeal that would make sense to them because the Gucci and BMW references were totally over their heads. Suffice it to say, they got off track pretty easily. Here's how it went down:

Me: For example, I drive a Toyota, which is a great car, but it wasn't very expensive. It's definitely not a Mercedes, though. An example of snob appeal would be Mercedes telling me in a commercial that unless I drive a Mercedes, I'm not cool like those who do.

QT: Do you watch TV?

Me: Yes, why?

QT: Have you ever seen that one commercial?

Me: Which commercial?

QT: You know, the one where they say "Show me the Carfax"?

Me: Q, is this relevant at all?

She gives me a completely confused look as though my question was the dumbest thing she had heard all day.

QT: Of course. So you know when that fox shows up?

Me: Yes...

QT: I liked that part, it's funny.

...and there went three minutes of my class...gone...forever...

No comments:

Post a Comment