Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Car wrecks, f-words and a lil' bit of scrutiny

This morning started lousy.

1. I had to shave. I hate shaving. I really hate shaving.

2. I was running late and that stresses me out.

3. And then, I got soaking wet. I was getting on the freeway onramp when I saw two smoking cars rolling to a stop, one in the shoulder and the other on the hill next to the freeway. Of course, nobody stops but instead do EVERYTHING possible to avoid the cars and get on the freeway. I pull over and see a young guy helping a woman into his car, she was in obvious shock.

The kid totally wanted to be a superhero.

He told me he was a nurse.

Neat. I don't care.

The other guy who was actually involved in the accident called 9-11, requested an ambulance and came over to help. Nurseboy, three minutes after the fact, decides he's going to call 9-11, ignoring all our claims that we had already, in fact, called the police. He tells the operator her pulse and heart rate.

Neat. He doesn't care.

Then it began to rain. The only day I forget a jacket, I am on the side of the freeway and it is raining.

Once I got to school, I had to rush to make copies, dry off and get my room ready for the day. Everything's going great until we get ready to go to lunch.

I line my kids up and then hear some kind of rumble down the hall and I see a young man, about 5'11 coming right at me. He blows past another teacher and comes straight my way. I tell him to stop, to which he responds, "Get the f*** out of my way. This is bulls***, get out my f***in' way."

I finally, after him running into me multiple times, wrap my arms around him and drag him into the stairwell. He immediately calms down, apologizes and tells me the story. Of course it was a terrible story, he had no reason to react in such a way, but at least he was cordial about it.

And then the executive director of Teach for America came into my classroom and observed me. Wonderful.

No comments:

Post a Comment